- From a non religious style, It’s a Meaningful Life-it just takes practice, by Bo Lozoff. A fun fiction book is The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, by Dan Millman.
- From the Hindu and Indian tradition, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, by Deepak Chopra, and Powers Within by Sri Aurobindo and The Mother.
- The Daoist tradition, The Tao Teh Ching, (many versions and translations, but I like one by John C. H. Wu), The Whole Heart of Tao, John Bright-Fey, and Chuan Tze, translated by Thomas Merton.
- The Zen Tradition, The Eight Gates of Zen, by John Daido Loori.
- The Buddhist tradition, the brilliant novel Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse.
- From the Arab tradition, Born Again With Doctor Dahesh, by Salim Onbargi. Also, anything By the Sufi poet Rumi.
- The Christian tradition, Seeds of Contemplation, by Thomas Merton, and a fiction book about a modern Jesus called Joshua, by Joseph F. Girzone
- The Native American tradition, The Wind is My Mother, by Bear Heart, and The Teachings of Don Juan, by Carlos Castaneda.
- The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep, by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche
- Why You Should Meditation For No Reason, by Charlie Ambler